Property at corner of Providence and Sharon purchased by District Mission Society
Organizational meetings at Ervin home
Meetings at Sharon School. First Sunday School, Brown Building ground breaking, first Choir meeting, first MYF, first Scout program, parsonage purchased
First worship, first issue of The Voice, 181 members
Beginning of Weekday School
Construction of Education Building
Haiti Mission established
Addition to Education Building
Charter Hall addition completed
50th Anniversary - 2200 Members
Providence UMC is the outgrowth of a Sunday night prayer group that met for the first time on November 29, 1953 at the Sharon Lane home of Mr. and Mrs. Paul R. Ervin. The members of the group lived in the vicinity of the Ervin home, but attended different Methodist churches in Charlotte. They voted on January 10, 1954 to organize a new Methodist church. The first worship service was held one week later at Sharon School. Rev. Frank B. Jordan, District Superintendent of the Charlotte District, preached the first sermon entitled "No Other Foundation". The first Sunday School classes were held on May 2, 1954.
The name of the new church was selected by ballot from among names suggested by the members. Suggested names included Aldersgate Methodist, Asbury Methodist, Christ Methodist, Providence Road Methodist, Sharon Methodist.
The founders of Providence intended to construct a permanent home for the new church on four acres of land located at the intersection of Providence Road and Sharon Lane in a growing residential area on the outskirts of Charlotte. The land was donated by the Charlotte City Mission Society of the Methodist Church which had purchased it in 1946. During the summer of 1954, plans were approved for a building containing a sanctuary and classrooms. Construction began on October 3, 1954. The building, a wooden structure, became affectionately known as "The Brown Building". The building and its furnishings cost $85000 and was first used for worship on January 9, 1955. The following Sunday, 181 people received certificates of charter membership.
In September of 1954, the church purchased its first parsonage, a 3 bedroom brick home at 2044 Ferncliff Road. Rev. R. Herman Nicholson and his family were the first to occupy the parsonage.
In 1958, construction of a 2 story brick education building was completed. This building was later expanded in 1984. In 1962, the church began construction of an imposing, new brick sanctuary. In 1964, the congregation moved its worship services from The Brown Building to the new facility. The Brown Building continued to be used for Sunday School classes and scouting activities.
In 1995, the church undertook the construction of a major physical expansion to serve its growing membership. The new addition included a chapel, additional Sunday School classrooms and a multipurpose auditorium. The existing education building was renovated. Construction of the new addition necessitated the razing of The Brown Building 40 years after it was opened. The cost of the new construction renovations was $10.2 million.
Today, over 50 years after its founding, Providence has grown to a church of over 2200 members who meet for worship in a facility located on over 9 acres of land. An average of 800 attend the two Sunday morning worship services. Although Providence has increased in size, it has retained the friendliness and family atmosphere of its small church beginning. As the church has grown, its outreach ministry has expanded beyond the borders of Charlotte. Members are engaged in humanitarian and charitable efforts not only in the local community, but also in other areas of North Carolina and in foreign countries.