Providence UMC is the outgrowth of a Sunday night prayer group that met for the first time on November 29, 1953 at the Sharon Lane home of Mr. and Mrs. Paul R. Ervin. The members of the group lived in the vicinity of the Ervin home, but attended different Methodist churches in Charlotte. They voted on January 10, 1954 to organize a new Methodist church. The first worship service was held one week later at Sharon School. Rev. Frank B. Jordan, District Superintendent of the Charlotte District, preached the first sermon entitled “No Other Foundation.” The first Sunday School classes were held on May 2, 1954.

The name of the new church was selected by ballot from among names suggested by the members. Suggested names included Aldersgate Methodist, Asbury Methodist, Christ Methodist, Providence Road Methodist, Sharon Methodist.

Through the Years

1946
Property at corner of Providence and Sharon purchased by District Mission Society
1953
Organizational meetings at Ervin home
1954
Meetings at Sharon School, first Sunday School, Brown Building ground breaking, first Choir meeting, first MYF, first Scout program, parsonage purchased
1955
First worship, first issue of The Voice, 181 members
1957
Beginning of Weekday School
1958
Construction of Education Building
1962
Membership 750
1964
Sanctuary groundbreaking
1965
Sanctuary dedication
1969
Membership 1650
1981
Haiti Mission established
1986
Addition to Education Building
1988
Property at the corner of Providence and Ferncliff roads purchased for $185,000. The property adjacent to Providence UMC was purchased with an eye to the future: duplex adjacent parking lot, 2-story house on corner of Ferncliff and Providence purchased ($273,000). Carroll Thomas appointed Parking Lot Development Committee to develop this new property for meeting the need for additional parking before other needs could be addressed.
1989
Tom Burgess formed a Columbarium Study Committee; Marble/brick marker, designed by Gerry Kistler, installed in front of the Sanctuary, given in loving memory of Genny Chipley by the Chipley Bible Sunday School Class. (The marker was later relocated to Providence Memorial Garden.)
1995
Dedication service for completed Columbarium & Memorial Walkway
1998
Charter Hall addition completed
2004
50th Anniversary – 2200 Members
2010
25th Anniversary Celebration Boy Scout Troop 11.
2013
Dedication of The Robinson Family Pipe Organ (The Aeolian-Skinner Organ Opus 1472 was purchased from the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts).
2014
The Net held its first service.
Dedication of three water features to the Columbarium, a bequest by the late Edgar W. Sirine in memory of Joann Austin Sirrine. The Columbarium was renamed Providence Memorial Garden.
On July 1, St. John’s UMC merged with Providence UMC. Two churches with similar values and long term histories but with very different stories of worshipping, studying and serving came together.
2015
Celebration of 50 years of worship in the Sanctuary and 1 year birthday of The Net.