Freedom School is a six-week program held each summer. It promotes the long-term success of at-risk children in grades K-8 by providing a culturally rich curriculum, exposure to the broader community and to enrichment opportunities. Providence UMC partners with St. Gabriele’s Catholic Church at the Oakhurst S.T.E.A.M. Academy on Monroe Road. The site will serve approximately 50 children from the neighborhoods surrounding our St. John’s Campus.
Product donations are being collected in the Atrium in May. Needs include:
- Canisters of cleaning wipes
- Hand sanitizer (12 oz. or larger)
- Boxes of tissue
- Packages of baby wipes
- Packages of small Dixie cups
- Rolls of paper towels
- Beach towels (for field trips to Ray’s Splash Planet)
Fun Ways to Serve at Freedom School from July 9 – 27.
- Our biggest need is for 50 volunteers on our Great Day of D.E.A.R. (DROP EVERYTHING AND READ!). Sign up to read one-on-one with a child on Wednesday, July 18 from 12:45 – 1:45 PM at the Oakhurst S.T.E.A.M. Academy.
- Another great need is for volunteers to help each of our 50 children pick out a book from the Scholastic Book Fair. The book fair for our children will be on July 13 from 12:15 – 2:15 PM. Please note that this is a field trip and volunteers will NOT go to Oakhurst S.T.E.A.M. Academy. The event will be held at the Highland School in the University area.
For more information, contact Jo Bishop or Lisa Bell. They would be glad to answer any questions and fill you in on other opportunities to serve at Freedom School. The Freedom School Website has more information about this essential program in our community.
Enjoy pictures from D.E.A.R. 2017!